How To Save Money To Travel
Travel is one of the best therapy you can get, it makes you happy, fulfill your life & gives a purpose of like. I don’t know about you, but it definitely does it for me.
This blog is more of I save money for my trips. I have been traveling for the past 8 years, but I’m not rich enough to travel frequently. But I realized a few ways and tricks with which I’m able to take vacations with the little money I have.
Check out these tips I use & who know they might work for you as well:
1. Travel With Friends
Trust me, traveling in groups is so much cheaper than traveling solo. I always plan to travel with 3-4 of my best friends. When you travel in groups everything from food, transportation, the hotel is shared in between & takes out the burden.
I did the whole east coast(Florida – Niagara & back- 10 days) under $500, & East coast( 6 National Parks, 7 cities – 15 days) in under $1000.
1. Try to travel with people you know you, everyone has different travel styles, some like to travel leisurely & some in a fast-pace.
2. Don’t travel with more than 5 people, it becomes more chaotic and less enjoyable.
2. Stop Wasting Money On Unwanted Things
If you want to travel, you need to cut down the cost of all another unnecessary thing you buy, wasting money on expensive clothes, eating out daily.
When I decided to travel & do adventure,
1. I started cooking my own food, it saves a huge amount of money.
2. Stop wasting money on cigarettes and binge drinking. They seem very less but the cost adds up eventually.
3. You don’t need every new product that is released on the market. Save money for the things to need and the things you think you want.
3. Travel During Off-Season
Here is the thing, you can take one trip around Christmas weekend or take 3 different trip offseason. Offseason tickets are cheap, don’t go when everyone is trying to go on a vacation, instead take a trip when the flights are cheap.
4. Hostels Instead Of Hotels
When traveling solo, I always prefer hostels. They are cheap, safe & more importantly you will meet so many different travelers which are similar to you.
Trust me, you will have so much more fun staying in hostels instead of hotels.
5. Use Credit Cards Wisely
People find credit cards to be scary, but if you know how to use it wisely you can get a free round about trip.
Read the credit card details, every trip you take you will gain miles or pints which can be utilized for future trips.
I recently took a Chase credit card and gained 50,000 pints which I redeemed to a round-way trip to Boston for absolutely free.
6. A Single Bedroom Is Comfortable Than A Mansion
I have seen my friends living in a 3 bedroom apartments when they only use the bedroom. People have the stigma that you need to show that you are rich to have good status in the society.
I would say, you are living for yourself, not for the sake of others. So, if your passion is to travel, live in a comfortable place rather than a luxurious place.
7. Travel During Night
Traveling during night solves two problems.
1. A place to stay for the night: If there is a long distance to cover, I drive during the night so that I don’t have to waste money on motels.
2. Distance to travel: Usually the distance you cover during the night is far more because there is very less traffic. This makes your drive peaceful.
They are several myths surrounding travel, check out this “Blog” where I debunked them.